Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So i haven't blogged in a week or so, and i've got to say that not much has changed in that time. I've been doing more thinking about life and just "stuff" in general. Many of my days have been the same, work, gym, rugby training, home etc... On friday night we sat down to relax and watched a DVD, 'The pirsuit of Happiness'. I found the film very good, but to be honest it made me think about things in my own life. The story basically is about a Father who wants what everyone else has. He does whatever he has to in order to provide for his Son, and his Son is his motivation. Even though the Father messes up a lot the Son still loves him, as long as they're together they're happy. The father is searching for a better life, and money and a better job.
It just made me think, we all run around thinking about getting bigger houses, New TV's new Cars, new phones, new this new that, bigger this bigger that..... when what we all should be doing is using what we've got for the greater good. It's funny, the number of Christians who get caught up in the world is huge. We all say we're different, we live different lives but underneath the surface we're all the same. We all want more and bigger things. I'm no different and i hate it. I'd like to be happy with all the things i've got, because i am actually happy, but they world makes you believe that you need more and more. Recently we've been thinking about using our house for others, we've talked about the idea of Fostering a child or baby, or letting people stay with us that are going through tough times. At the end of the day, we're in a very fortunate position, we have jobs, a home, 2 cars and each other. What i am wanting to challenge myself to do is, use all we have to make other people's lives happier. I know i babble on, but i don't want to be like all other people, i don't want to spend my life comparing my home, car, belongings, holidays etc to others.

1 comment:

James McCullough said...

I disagree with your comment "underneath we're all the same" the problem is surely on the surface we appear too similar?